Friday, April 16, 2010

Thoughts....and a field trip



So as we've come to the conclusion that we are most definitely PRO homeschooling, I've started to get really terrified at the prospect of doing it. It's such an overwhelming task, I mean if it all works out and we enjoy doing it, my children's education depends all on me!! Can we say pressure?!
I have read book after book after about 10 other books....and I know deep in my heart it is what I truly want to do.
Little Princess is currently wrapping up her preschool year. She loves her school, she loves her teachers, and she loves her friends. Sometimes I feel like she will be deprived of all that, but then I have to remind myself that she will still have an education, I will be the teacher she loves, and she will have many friends through all the groups out there. She is very excited and onboard for the idea of homeschooling. She told her teachers that she can't wait for kindergarten because I will be her teacher. Her sweet teacher pulled me aside one day and asked if I was sure I could do it. She mentioned that her daughter tried to do it and she completely ruined her kids. I have no college education in the field and am really not qualified. I just smiled, winked and gave her hug and said it would all be ok. But regardless of the gestures I made, my head did start spinning. I stood there and watched Little Princess playing with her friends, and I of course doubted myself yet again.
But, regardless of all my doubts, fears, insecurities, and lets face it laziness is definitely up at the top of that list; I can't deny how my heart feels. I keep assuring myself that it's only kindergarten anyways, if I can't do it, if she doesn't like it, if it's too much stress well then I can just send her to first grade next year. Kindergarten isn't required so if she misses it in the Elementary program, she misses it. I am really excited though to see how this next year goes. Wish me luck. :)

I volunteered to help walk Little Princess's class on a field trip to the flower shop. Those kids are so dang cute, and very special. Little Princess had made wonderful friendships and she adores her friends. There are a few in the class who are starving for love. My heart aches when I am around them, but at the same time those little spirits are so sweet that they fill me with an overwhelming amount of happiness. They cling to any smile or kind gesture shown to them. I was able to walk with one little boy who needs the most love. He's so sweet and I just wanted to take him home with us. After that time walking with him, he always gives me the biggest hugs when I walk into and am leaving the class room, he always has a story to tell me and sometimes even a picture for me. I hate to think of what his life must be like at home, because he is a hard child to care for in the classroom and you can tell he just isn't cared for at home.

Anyways, back to the field trip....I hate when I get side-tracked, which happens frequently.
The girl at the flower shop was so cute with her presentation, she took the children on a tour of the retail part and explained what every little thing was and she went into a lot of detail; the kids loved it. When she took them in the back Little Man started acting up and so we didn't stay back there for fear of him grabbing a vase and throwing it.
The kids had so much fun, but we're completely exhausted after their outing. We arrived to the school with only 30 minutes left of class so I opted to take Little Princess home with me. She was quite upset with me, so I had to bribe her with an ice cream cone. Thank goodness McD's is right on our way home. Anyways, we had a fun field day.

1 comment:

Dana said...

GOOD LUCK!! I am excited to see you with your new adventure.
Kids are so precious, I want to take all of the ones that are in bad homes! Breaks my heart.